Friday, May 20, 2011

29 Days....Oh My Gosh!!!!!

I truly can't believe that the Baltimore 10 Miler is less than 30 days away!!!! I started this countdown 80 days ago - where has that time gone?????

Today was our school concert and all the kids did a wonderful job. It also means that today was our last day of school for this school year. I have in-service days next week but classes are finished. It is always a happy and sad time. I enjoy having the summer off to be with my kids and to have more time for things like exercise, going to the pool and yes even making dinner. It is very hard to make more involved and yummy dinners for the family when I'm rushing around doing errands and picking up the carpool etc. That being said, it is also a sad time because you miss the kids and their smiling faces. Sure, there are rough days when you are dealing with 2 and 3 year olds but there is NOTHING like the feeling you get when a young child just brightens up the entire room with their smile and laugh....or when they walk into the room see you and run over to give you a great big hug! We had a great group of kids this year and I will miss them.

I am looking forward to having some more time to devote to my exercise sessions - especially getting Chip our for some runs on the trails. Hopefully the rain will actually stop one of these days and the trails will dry up enough to actually get on them again! I love the freedom I have in the mornings - I may only have 20 or so extra minutes but that can mean an extra 2-3 miles of running. Case in point.....yesterday we ran 6.25 miles (instead of our normal 4-5) but it put me 10-15 minutes later (after stretching and such) than normal and my entire morning just felt "off". It will just be nice to have a more relaxed feeling.

Goals for this summer:
I know have have already talked about 2 of my goals (Baltimore and completing the Half-Wit Half marathon again) but I decided that I needed more to focus on to get me through the rest of the summer. Right now, my weight has kind of stalled at around 154 pounds. This isn't an awful weight for me (in fact it is only a few pounds heavier that when I got married and I've had 2 kids since then) but I want better! So, Goal #1: weigh 140 pounds by September 1, 2011.

I'm also very aware of my different aches and pains since my foot problem. To help relieve that issue, I started doing P90X which included a lot more stretching than I was used to and also added yoga. I'll be honest, I'm still nervous that the problems are going to creep back in. Every time I get up off the sofa and my foot feels tight, I'm nervous that the plantar fascitis is coming back. The best was to combat that is to stretch. So, Goal #2: begin a daily stretching program of at least 15 minutes.

I may add more goals as the summer goes on but those are the ones I have right now. I like to watch The Biggest Loser and Olivia said something this week that really struck a chord with me. She talked about being a strong starter and a weak finisher. She finally finished strong and as a result she made it to the final 3 contestants. I can certainly relate to this feeling. I have repeatedly started weight loss plans and challenges and in almost every single case, I finish with a whimper. I have never felt the same fire at the end that I have at the beginning. Ultimately I guess that by default becomes Goal #3: to make healthy eating and living a daily routine or way of living!

This is going to be a great summer!

No comments: