Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Day After.....

Yesterday, I went on my first run in about 3 weeks. It was great to get out with my running buds! I have really missed them! My plan was to run about 9-10 miles at a nice easy pace. I ended up running 11 miles. The pace was OK - I did the first 5 a bit faster than I probably should but I was running with a friend that I haven't seen in probably 2 months and we got caught up in the conversation.....I wouldn't trade it for hte world!

The second half of the run was pretty hilly but the pace was slower. Cardiovascularly, I felt great! I was thrilled with the way my Insanity program has kept my cardio shape up. I didn't know how I would feel over a long run because the Insanity workouts are shorter (about 45 min. and I ran for over 2 hours) and they work different energy systems. I was also pleased at the amount of spring I had in my legs going up the hills.

Things felt great until about miles 7-8 which was when I started to feel tight in my legs. There wasn't any pain involved, I just started to feel a tightness, especially in my hamstrings. I was running with a friend who is in PT for a hip problem so we did do some walking which was nice. By the time we got back to our cars at mile 11 I was really ready to be finished!

I did some quick stretching for my legs and sides but boy did I tighten up on the ride home. As soon as I got home, I changed and settled in for some stretching. I was VERY tight! I find that my core area is really effected when I run. I get these little spasms, especially in between my ribs, when I'm finished my runs. I've been trying to work on strengthening my core but I still get those spasms when I'm finished. In addition, my legs, feet and hips were pretty sore for the rest of the day - not injury sore just sore from doing something I haven't done in 3 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning....I am still pretty tight and a bit sore. I was planning on doing my Insanity Plyo CC session this morning but I decided to take a rest day. I figured that if my hips and knees were sore, jumping on them probably wasn't a good idea. I am focusing in stretching today!

I'm also thinking about becoming a BeachBody coach. There is some initial cost involved because you are starting a home business. I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what those costs are and then I'll talk it over with the hubby and decide what to do next. There is a lot of opportunity there but I'm not sure if it is for me - still on the fence. I love the exercise products that is for sure! I haven't tried the nutritional products but everyone on the message boards seem to love them.

Looking forward to a nice day with friends! Also looking forward to getting back to my Insanity workouts tomorrow - I think it is Pure Cardio!

No comments: