Monday, July 24, 2006

2 Great Workouts!

11 weeks and counting until my 15K race!

Now the training begins for real. Before this, I've been focusing on a body transformation which has been a huge success and has given me a great base to build on. However, starting today, I really begin training for my race on October 8th.

Today's plan called for a 3 mile run, ab training and a lifting session (chest, back, shoulders & triceps). The day started with a 5 am run. The weather was nice (about 65 degrees - felt nice and cool for a change) and my goal was to run the distance at a pace closer to my race pace. I wanted to run at about 8 min/mile but ended up running at 7:30 min/mile - that's race pace folks! It was a challenge but I feel really good about my starting point in this progress.

After the run was finished, I came in to do my abs. Ab training has always been a weak point for me. For some reason, I seem to forget to train my abs. Since I know that I have a problem with these exercises I have scheduled them in on Monday's, Wednesday's & Friday's.

I then took a training break, for some reason life seems to butt in all the time - LOL! Just before lunch I completed my training for the day with an awesome lifting session. In years past, while training for this race, I've allowed the lifting component of my program to suffer and even disapear completely. The excuse has always been that the running is the most important part. It seems really lame now but it was my thought process. This year will be different. One of my goals is to make sure that I continue to lift, and I'm not talking about weak mamby-pamby type sessions. I'm going to continue to push myself to get stronger and hit new max weights for each body part. This whole process is not just about a race - it is about being healthy, strong and about being an excellent example for everyone I come in contact with!

Today has been a great start to my training. I know every day isn't going to be smooth sailing but I'm going to keep plugging along each and everyday. Consistant persistence can't be beat!

No comments: