Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm Quite Proud of Myself!

Today I went out and ran 10 miles by myself! I can't tell you the last time I went out for a run alone - unfortunately it will probably be the only run this week because of my husband being away on a business trip.

I took a page out of my friend Lori's book and connected my Ipod up to a small speaker and put it in my pocket. What a difference it made!!! I've never been able to run with headphones on because I tended to run to the beat of the music and would get all out of sync because the music would get too fast and I would cramp etc. However, having the music just out there and not right in my ears really helps - you get the benefit of the distraction but not to the point where you have no idea about your surroundings. Much safer!!

My pace was also quite good (about 9:45m/m) and I completed 10.01 miles. I could start to feel it at the end - legs were getting a bit tired and my lungs were struggling but the good part was that I didn't feel like I was going to cough up my lungs at the end. This makes me feel a touch more comfortable in my ability to finish the trail marathon. The good part about this race is that there aren't any other goals other than to finish it. I fully intend on walking parts and my finish time is not something I'm concerned about. It is a tough course and I just want to say that I completed it!

Off to take my wonderful hubby to the airport - I'm going to miss him!!

No comments: